Each University must have a process for identifying candidates for consideration for appointment as Student Trustees. This document was developed in consultation with Student Government leadership and describes that process.
Role of Student Trustees
Currently enrolled SSU students in good standing who are Ohio residents are invited to apply for the position of Student Trustee on the Shawnee State University Board of Trustees.
Membership of the Shawnee State University Board of Trustees includes two student trustees who are appointed by the Governor upon recommendation by the University.
- To learn how Shawnee State University functions – its uniqueness, strengths, and needs;
- To prepare for, regularly attend, and actively participate in Board meetings and committee assignments;
- To support the Board and work with fellow Board members in a spirit of cooperation; and
- To help the Board formulate policies for the University and avoid administration of those policies unless specifically authorized to do so by the Board.
Student Trustees serve for two years. Current enrollment and good academic, social and financial standing are required for appointment.
The Board of Trustees meets five times each year, usually every other month, beginning in the fall of each year. Meetings are normally on the second Friday of the month. Related committee meetings are normally held on the mornings of the Board meetings.
A Student Trustee will be assigned to serve on the Board’s Academic and Student Affairs Committee or the Finance and Administration Committee. Trustees are expected to attend meetings of the Board.
Student Trustees should organize their class schedules in a way that enables them to fully participate in Board meetings.
During the academic year, Student Trustees may have the opportunity to attend a statewide meeting of Student Trustees.
How to Apply
To ensure full consideration applicants must:
- Be an Ohio resident
- Secure and complete the application packet which may be downloaded here: Student Trustee Application Packet (PDF)
- Complete the “Boards and Commissions Questionnaire” included in the application packet.
- Prepare a resume or biography.
- Write a short essay about why you should be considered for the position.
- Sign a waiver permitting the University to ascertain that you are in good academic, social and financial standing with the University and report these findings to the Governor’s Office of Boards and Commissions.
- Submit materials to the Office of the President. Only complete applications will be considered.
- Complete an interview with the President of the university. This interview will be scheduled by the Office of the President.
All application materials must be returned to the Office of the President (ADM176) by 4:00 PM on Thursday, February 29, 2024 or email your application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The applications of individuals recommended by the President will be forwarded to the Governor's Office of Boards and Commissions along with academic and social standing information. Notification of appointment will come from the Governor's Office.