How do you qualify for scholarship consideration?
- Be a future healthcare professional accepted into one of SSU’s Nursing or Allied Health programs. Those accepted into one of the following SSU programs may apply.
- Nursing - two-year associate degree
- Nursing - four-year Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree
- Dental Hygiene associate's degree
- Emergency Medical Technology/Paramedic associate's degree
- Medical Laboratory associate's degree
- Radiologic Technology associate's degree
- Respiratory Therapy associate's degree
- Live in Ohio. Choose Ohio First scholarships are funded in part through a grant from the Ohio Department of Higher Education and are intended to help meet workforce needs in disadvantaged Ohio populations. Special consideration will be given to applicants from the five most economically disadvantaged counties in our region: Scioto, Lawrence, Adams, Pike and Jackson counties.
- Meet the academic qualifications for one of our merit-based scholarships. Those with a minimum of 3.2 GPA and an ACT composite score of at least 21 – with English, math and reading sub scores of at least 18, or SAT score of at least 980 – with Math sub score of 510 and Verbal 460. Or, talk to an admission associate about alternate placement testing.
- Complete the Choose Ohio First Nursing & Allied Health Scholarship Application. Applicants are required to complete an essay and potential interview as part of the scholarship selection process.
- Commit to participate in SSU Choose Ohio First Scholarship Program. Shawnee State will use a cohort model with award recipients and require attendance at cohort events, participation in a new Alumni Mentorship Program, and usage of SSU Career Services.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How does the Choose Ohio First Scholarship Program at Shawnee State work?
The Ohio Department of Higher Education has awarded Shawnee State University with funding to be used for direct student scholarships to encourage students from economically disadvantaged regions of Ohio and from underrepresented groups to earn a degree in nursing. This is part of Ohio’s initiative to increase the number of degrees in STEM-related fields. Shawnee State also has Choose Ohio First scholarship programs specific to game design, computer engineering technology and computer assisted design majors.
How do I apply for the scholarship?
Complete the following applications:
- Application to attend Shawnee State University
- Application for acceptance into the SSU Nursing/Health Profession Program
- Application for Choose Ohio First Scholarship consideration
If I meet all qualifications, will I automatically receive the scholarship?
No. Awards will be made to qualified selected applicants on a first-come, first-served basis while funding is available. You will be asked to commit to Shawnee State by a certain date so we ensure that all funding will be used.
What is the value of the scholarship?
Awards valued from $1500 up to full-tuition will be made with a possible combination of Choose Ohio First grant funding, institutional funds, and SSU Development Foundation scholarship funding. Awarded scholarships are renewable for up to four years, provided recipients maintain a 3.0 GPA, earn 27 credit hours per academic year, and continue working toward a nursing degree.
Scholarships are funded by Choose Ohio First, a scholarship program funded by the Ohio Department of Higher Education to significantly strengthen Ohio’s competitiveness within STEM disciplines while recruiting underrepresented student groups into innovative academic programs at Ohio universities.
Contact Us with Questions:
Contact email@example.com with any questions you may have about the Choose Ohio First Scholarship Program. An Admission Associate will work with you – and connect you with the resources you need to launch your successful career in nursing.